Fun presentation makes everything better.
Jello shots in little plastic cups? Boring.
Jello shots in citrus fruit shapes? Wicked cool.
I yanked this idea from Not Martha, and – as is usually the case when I use her ideas – I got a ton of compliments on the fruits.
You can click this link to find out how she made them. My modifications and thoughts on the recipe are as follows:
- My orange jello mixture was as follows: 2 packets Jell-O (one orange and one lemon), 2/3 cup raspberry vodka, 2/3 cup hot water.
- My green jello mixture was way too soft and didn’t hold its shape. That mixture was: 1 packet Jell-O (lime), 2/3 cup apple vodka, 2/3 cup hot water. Lesson learned, double the gelatin mixture for solid fruits.
- I sliced each orange half into thirds. I did this out of habit (that’s how I slice oranges), but I probably should have just cut each one in half. The more cuts you make per orange half, the more strain you put on the jello. This means that some slices will come out super ugly from being smooshed.
- Keep an even hand while you slice these. Otherwise, the jello will be jagged and less pretty.
- Orange halves fit nicely into a standard cupcake tin, but lemon halves are too small. Stuff the tin with a bunch of wadded-up paper towels to accomodate this difference.
- Cleaning out the orange rinds is very tedious. Also, don’t do it if you have any papercuts, or it will sting like none other.
- The leftover orange/lemon pulp can be tossed in the blender with some sugar, booze, and Kool-Aid to make an easy party punch and not waste those oranges and lemons.